12.04.2007

Details: Sister's Breakfast


Beth wanted to plan some sort of girly get together for me since a bridal shower and bachelorette party were not feasible this year. So we thought a brunch the morning of the ceremony might be the best way to go. She asked me to describe what I wanted to accomplish with the brunch and I told her my first priority would be to get some time to get to know my new sister-in-laws and expose them to my sisters. I also included mothers and close friends on the list. Beth somehow got up at the crack of dawn and prepared a feast including three different types of quiche. She decorated with turquoise and daisies. And all this with a 5 month old!

As Erica set my hair in rollers, we ladies talked about marriage and love. I tried to crack the Wells wall of secrecy asking if they wanted to tell me anything about Daryl before I walked down the aisle. But, not a peep. So, I asked if I was making a horrible mistake and received a unanimous, “definitely not.“ So that’s good. I talked about the reason I really love Daryl. If you weren’t there, you’ll just have to wonder!

The party centered around the kitchen theme, so everyone contributed one recipe that was assembled in a scrap book for me. I look forward to having Daryl cook some of them for me. Beth provided a beautiful centerpiece comprised of a bevy of sea colored kitchen accessories with a 50’s flare. We ended up using them throughout the weekend.

I used the gathering as an opportunity to dole out some Thank You’s and gifts. I got Beth a turquoise and sterling bracelet and similar style ring and introduced her to the group. For those that missed it, she has been my best friend since Freshman year of Highschool, which she added was 20 years ago. We went on to dorm together at University of Virginia and visited each other regularly throughout our graduate years. And she is always a phone call away when I need her. I was her Maid of Honor at her wedding and now she is mine. And best of all, now we embark on the new role of being mothers together with baby boys! She felt pressure to live up to my over achieving efforts as her Maid, but I reminded her I didn’t have a brand new baby when I was helping her plan her wedding. She did a great job with her duties starting with picking a perfect complimentary dress to mine. I was very vague about giving her direction with the dress, but I thought she looked stunning while still making me feel like the center of attention. She has been a wonderful support throughout my life and we continue to grow closer. I love her very much.

I also took the opportunity to tell people about the Tea Ceremony that had occurred the day before. It was nice to see Marion wearing her Jade pendant at the breakfast. I really felt connected to her as a daughter at that moment. And, I was pleased to see it flattered her nicely. Although I didn’t feel it was appropriate to recognize Victoria as a mother at the tea ceremony, one of her many roles in my life is as a mother, so I honored her at the breakfast with a bold Jade pendant (actually, I found out it’s a stone called Adventurine) to signify that role in my life. I would be very proud to be her daughter. Of course I said all of this with tears of joy in my eyes.

Time started getting short and I knew I would probably need a chunk of time to shellac and polish my way to stardom. So, we wrapped up the event with a quick group pic on the back porch, some hugs and I was off!

No comments: